In 1966 I’d been been a member of the Jazzboard when the band had opened for the Who, the Small Faces and Cream. Could anything top that? Well nearly. In 1970 Sneeze supported Free at Durham University. It didn’t seem such a big deal at the time because, at that stage, they hadn’t had any chart success. But looking back it was a great night and definitely one of the highlights of my gigging career. After that gig, Paul Rodgers became one of my all time favourite rock vocalists – he still is. This is how Sneeze came about: –

The Village broke up in December 1968 and out of its ashes came Sneeze. I can’t remember exact details of how the band got together but I think it was the Village’s latter day guitarist, Ray Coulson who started the ball rolling. Sneeze was made up of four members from the Village; myself on tenor sax and Jimmy Hall on flugelhorn as the horn section; Ray on guitar and Brian Gibson on drums. From the Whitley Bay band Coloured Rain came the vocalist Rob Rudd and Hammond organist Pierre Pedersen. The line up was completed by a very able Gateshead bass player named Tom Hill who had previously played in bands with Brian. (A few years later Tom and Brian formed Geordie with Brian Johnson and had a number of chart hits. Subsequently, Brian Johnson found fame as the front man with AC/DC).

The original Sneeze line-up in 1969: Left to right – Tom Hilll (bass), Rob Rudd (vocals), Jimmy Hall and Roger Smith (horns), Brian Gibson (drums) and Pierre Pedersen (Hammond organ) – Ray Coulson (guitar) not visible
Things got off to a slow start with Sneeze. We were doing a combination of numbers from our previous bands, Village and Coloured Rain – basically Soul and pop songs. The singer, Rob, was comfortable with this material but with the exception of working men’s clubs, the type of music we were playing was rapidly losing popularity in the North East in favour of heavy/progressive music.

Rob Rudd didn’t last long as Sneeze’s vocalist. The band needed a new image and a change of musical direction. Several singers were auditioned before Rod Foggon from Alnwick was chosen as the new Sneeze vocalist. Rod had a good voice and a great stage presence. Sneeze ditched all the old soul and pop material and started doing covers of songs by bands such as Blood, Sweat and Tears, Electric Flag, Santana, Steve Miller Band and Jethro Tull. We worked hard on our image; the guitarists both wore white flowing garments and floppy hats. The horn section wore matching light blue flared trousers and black tops and Rod, the front man, usually wore tight fitting trousers and something on top to show off a bare chest.

Brian Gibson and Pierre Pedersen at the bar before a gig at Haggerston Castle, Spring 1969

Adverts for Haggerston Castle, Northumberland. Note the stringent dress code in 1969
By the late spring of 1969, Sneeze had a full diary, playing on average four gigs a week. Most of the gigs were supplied by the booking agent, Ivan Birchall who, at that time, covered a lot of the top venues in the North East. The band did not have a manager but on 2nd May the band played a gig at the Northern Counties College in Longbenton, Newcastle. At the end of the night an overweight character in his thirties approached the band and introduced himself as Don. Don said that he was an agent and wanted to book the band to play in Germany in a few week’s hence. He also promised regular gigs in London plus a record deal. It turned out that Don was neither a manager nor an agent but a frustrated singer who was looking for a backing band. Needless to say the gigs in Germany and the USA didn’t materialise but for a few weeks Don did wheedle himself into a manager’s role in Sneeze.

The “Don” episode introduced the band to Mickey Meade the proprietor of the Torino Sound Studio. After Don’s departure, Mickey became our manager and supplied the band with new amplifiers and a PA system. The first gig we did with Mickey as the manager was on 26th May at a dance in Barnard Castle. He turned up with a personal bodyguard on hire from a security firm because, according to him, he had received death threats. We all thought that this was bullshit and that he was just trying to make himself look important. After that night the bodyguard was never seen again. Mickey lived for a good few years but, bizarrely, he was murdered many years later on the banks of the river Wear by two hit men hired by his lover who he had allegedly been abusing.

In Sneeze’s early days the band sometimes practiced at Impulse Studio in Wallsend. The proprietor of Impulse was Dave Wood who was involved in the early careers of Alan Hull and Lindisfarne. I had met Dave the year before when I recorded a demo album with a soul band called the Technique. At that time he had been impressed with the brass which had recorded well. Amongst other things, Dave used to record and produce records for solo singers. When a brass section was asked for by the singer or if Dave thought it would enhance the recording, he would occasionally ask Sneeze or just the horn section (me and Jimmy Hall) to record a separate track, which he would add to the original recording. One such track was for a young female singer called Billie Wells who, in 1969, was tipped for stardom. The track was called “Follow My Heart” and although nothing became of it, it is probably the only recording of the original Sneeze still in existence. Billie never quite made it as an international singing star but I believe she is still performing on cruise liners and at various other venues all over the world.

Advert for the Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle
Early in 1969 Dave Wood was recording and producing records for the singer/songwriter, Alan Hull. Dave asked if Jimmy and I would add a brass part to three of Alan’s songs which he had already recorded. We spent an afternoon writing the arrangement and recording the tracks. I didn’t know much about Alan Hull at the time but when I actually heard his songs I knew there was something special about him. A line in one of the three songs, which I think was about the morning after a night of passion has stayed in my memory ever since. It went – “I watch your striptease in reverse and put my hand into your purse – you said that I couldn’t get much worse” – or something like that. Anyway, Alan hated the brass arrangements on the three songs so our tracks weren’t actually used for anything. Jimmy and I did get paid for the session (£12 each according to an old diary) and because Alan Hull wasn’t that well known outside North East folk clubs we weren’t that bothered. Not long after he teamed up with the local band Brethren and they all found fame and fortune as Lindisfarne.

A few months after the “big Don” episode another “Don” came into our lives in the shape of Don Covay, the American soul singer famous for his 1966 hits “See Saw” and “Mercy, Mercy”. We were booked to play at a new venue in the Northumberland village of Lynemouth called the 3-Six Club, just north of Ashington. The venue was a night club which had been offering free membership to anyone in the Newcastle area who filled out an application form.

The gig was cancelled a few days before we were due to play because Don Covay was booked in our place. However, through our agent, Ivan Birchall, we were asked if we could back Don. At that time, there was an issue with the Musicians Union about solo performers from abroad using their own backing musicians in the UK. We reluctantly agreed to this on the understanding that we would receive the same money that we had originally been booked for. Don Covay went down a storm at the 3-Six Club. Strangely, it wasn’t his own hits that went down the best. The number that brought the house down was Don’s version of Aretha Franklin’s ‘Respect’, which we had to play three times to keep the crowd happy.

The Sneeze horns – Jim Hall (flugelhorn) and Roger Smith (sax)
A few weeks later we got call from our agent. Don Covay wanted us to back him at a gig at the Boat Club in Nottingham. This time our agent also booked in Sneeze as a separate act to do a warm up slot before Don’s set. The club was situated on the banks of the river Trent in a converted boathouse and, unlike the Lynemouth gig, it was full of ardent soul fans. The progressive music of Sneeze didn’t go down too well with the crowd and this time, because we had not managed to fit a rehearsal in before the show, the backing we provided could have been better. However, Don seemed reasonably happy and a friend he had brought with him, who he introduced as Clarence “Frogman” Henry said he liked the band and in particular the horn section; quote – “Hey man – I like that brass!”

Was the black soul singer we backed on the two occasions the real Don Covay? Our Don was definitely American, he was a good singer and his renditions of ‘See Saw’ and ‘Mercy Mercy’ sounded just like the records. However, it came to light at a later date that our “Don Covay” was an impostor. He was part of a widespread scam carried out by a London agent called Roy Tempest who was supplying fake US Soul acts to promoters and venue owners. (Read more about the scam here – The Soul Deceiver



change is card

In 1969 a Newcastle hypnotist called Romark (real name Ronnie Markham) opened a night club called ‘Change Is’ in Bath Lane, Newcastle just off Westgate Road. The club was financed by the comedian Bob Monkhouse. ‘Change Is’ was spread over three floors which included a dance floor with a booth for the house DJ and a small stage area for visiting bands. There was also a cabaret room upstairs where Romark was the resident compere.

6 ChangeIsCircus

Sneeze played one trial gig in May 1969 followed by a week’s residency in the first week of June. The cabaret acts appearing at the club at the same time were the Spinners (the English folk band – not their Motown namesakes) and another folk group called the Settlers. In its early days a number of well known bands played at the club including Robert Fripp’s band, King Crimson, who did a week’s residency around the same time as Sneeze. ‘Change Is’ lasted a couple of years but eventually went bust. Allegedly, the late Bob Monkhouse lost all the money he invested in the club. He was reported to have said that Romark had him under hypnosis when he agreed to pour money into the venture. The venue reopened in the early seventies under the name of ‘Bloomers’.

The dance floor at Change Is

The Change Is building on Bath Lane

Some other venues Sneeze played at in the early part of 1969 were: Haggerston Castle, the Locarno Ballroom in Sunderland, Newcastle’s Quay Club, the Cellar Club in Ashington, the Rex at Whitley Bay and the Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle.

In the summer of ’69 Tom Hill decided he wanted to start his own band and left Sneeze to form a band called ‘Blondie’ with a drummer called Keith Fisher. One of the last gigs the band did with the original line up was at the Town Moor in Newcastle in front of a crown of around 10,000 music fans. Also playing that day were the Junco Partners and another Newcastle band on the verge of success – Ginhouse

Photos taken at the Newcastle Town Moor concert: –

The second Sneeze line-up with vocalist Rod Foggon at Newcastle Town Moor in 1969

Sneeze’s front man – Rod Foggon

Sneeze’s bassist – Tom Hill

Brian Gibson

Ginhouse with vocalist/guitarist Geoff Sharkey

The Junco Partners – Charlie Harcourt (guitar), Bob Sergeant (keyboards) and John Woods (drums)

Tom and Ray were replaced by Gateshead bassist George “Stodge” Otigbah and Mick Balls, a guitarist from North Shields. At the same time the band added new songs to the repertoire including material from Spirit, Chicago Transit Authority, Richie Havens and Keef Hartley. As well as being a first class bassist, Stodge was also an accomplished songwriter so at this stage the band started to include original material in the sets.

Sneeze at the Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay
Sneeze at the Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay

Sneeze’s last gig in 1969 on New Year’s eve was at a notorious pub in Consett, County Durham called the Freemason’s Arms. None of the band wanted to do the gig because of its awful reputation, but our agent insisted and, because the money was good, it went ahead. As well as beer, the pub also served up pies. One of its peculiarities was to have knives and forks fixed to the bar on short chains so that they couldn’t be used as weapons in the frequent fights that broke out there. We had decided to play ‘Auld Lang Syne’ as the clock was counting down for the New Year and I had written down the horn parts for the occasion. There had been no trouble all night and the crowd seemed in a good mood. Just before midnight, Jimmy and I put the Auld Lang Syne music sheets on the Hammond organ and turned our back on the audience so we could read the parts. After playing a verse we noticed that people had stopped singing. When we turned around we saw that the whole place had erupted in violence. All the men in the place were knocking the daylights out of each other. A lot of girls were trying to get on the high stage to escape. We managed to get our girlfriends off the dance floor and into the dressing room upstairs where we boarded ourselves up until the police arrived.

Photos taken at the Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle in December 1969: –

Jimmy Hall and Roger Smith

Roger Smith
Pierre Pedersen left the band early in 1970. We decided not to replace him and carried on as a six piece without a Hammond organ. Unfortunately, Pierre also used to drive the band’s Transit van.

Geographically we were quite spread out; Rod lived at Alnwick, Stodge and Brian at Gateshead, Mick at North Shields, Jimmy near Houghton-le-Spring and me at Sunderland. The distance from Rod’s home in the North to Jimmy’s in the South was around 60 miles.

Before a gig, most of the band would meet at a pub called the Market Lane on Pilgrim Street, Newcastle (not far from the Tyne Bridge) and wait for the van to arrive.

One day when I was walking from Newcastle Central Station to the Market Lane a van stopped and the driver asked me in a Brummy accent if I knew if there was any music shops open at that time of the evening. I was carrying my saxophone case so he probably thought I was in the know. He said that he was in a band and that his drummer had no drum sticks for their gig in Newcastle that evening. It was well after 6.00pm so I said that there was probably nothing open that late in the day. I told him that I was in a band myself and our drummer could possibly help out. The occupants of the van squeezed up and I hopped in and directed the driver towards the Market Lane. During the short journey I asked who the band was, to which someone replied “Black Sabbath”. They were not, of course, that well known back in those days and were actually playing as a support band that night.

Sneeze in 1970: Left to right – Jim Hall (flugelhorn), Mick Balls (guitar), Rod Foggon (vocals), Brian Gibson (drums), Roger Smith (tenor sax) and George Otigbah (bass)
Sneeze in 1970: Left to right – Jim Hall (flugelhorn), Mick Balls (guitar), Rod Foggon (vocals), Brian Gibson (drums), Roger Smith (tenor sax) and George Otigbah (bass)

In view of the logistical problems of dropping people at home after each gig, we decided to look for somewhere central to rent and eventually found a suitable semi in the west end of Newcastle in Clifton Road. Four of us moved into the property on a permanent basis, Jimmy stayed occasionally and Brian decided he would prefer the comfort of his parent’s home in Gateshead. Living together and having our own place gave us a lot more time to practice and learn new material, concentrating on Stodge’s own songs.

Sneeze at their shared home at 21 Clifton Road in Newcastle’s West End. Mick Balls, Rod Foggon, Roger Smith and Jim Hall

Jim Hall and George Otigbah (Stodge) before a gig at Barnard Castle
Throughout 1970 the band played at places like the Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle University, Change Is, the Viking at Seahouses, the Rex at Whitley Bay and even a few gigs in Scotland. We shared the stage with some famous bands – the Love Affair, Juicy Lucy and Hot Chocolate.

One of our best gigs was when we were booked to play at Dunelm House, part of Durham University’s student’s union, supporting Free. The other support band that night was Tom Hill’s new band, Blondie. At that time Free had not had any chart success but they were rapidly gaining popularity and already had a huge fan base in the North East, in particular in Sunderland. They hadn’t been on television a lot but I knew all about them and what they looked like because of coverage in the music press (NME, Sounds and Melody Maker). Dunelm was packed that night and Free put on a great show.

Free - (l to r) Paul Rodgers, Simon Kirke, Andy Fraser and Paul Kossoff
Free – (l to r) Paul Rodgers, Simon Kirke, Andy Fraser and Paul Kossoff

I read recently on Wikepedia that, according to Free’s ex-drummer, Simon Kirke, Andy Fraser had written ‘All Right Now’ in the dressing room at Dunelm after their set had failed to excite the audience. As far as I remember they got a good reception from the Durham students but it may not have been what they were used to.

Another memorable gig at a Durham University Students Union dance supporting a little known band at that time called Shakin’ Stevens and the Sunsets. The gig was in a small students union building in a narrow street very near to Durham Cathedral called South Bailey. The Sunsets were accompanied by their manager who introduced the band in a phoney American accent – “it’s nice to be here at your high school hop”. For the rest of the evening the manager also acted as a compare and sometimes sang and danced on stage, sharing the limelight with Shakin’ Stevens.

Ten years or so later Shakin’ Stevens would become a household name with his hits ‘This Old House’ and ‘Green Door’.

Also in 1970 we auditioned at the Change Is nightclub, Bath Lane, Newcastle with several other local bands for a spot on a north east regional program featuring Newcastle bands and singers. As a result of the audition we went to the BBC’s Maida Vale Studio in London and recorded half a dozen songs. Unfortunately we weren’t able to get a copy of the tapes nor did we hear the recordings when they were played on the radio.

Early in 1971, two years after Sneeze formed, some of the members thought that Sneeze had gone as far as it could go in the north east and a joint decision was made to split up.

The band’s final gig was at the Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay on 8th March 1971.



Sneeze poster

On 27th September 2014 some members of Sneeze got back together for a one-off reunion gig at The Clav Club, Dunston, Gateshead, 43 years after the band’s last performance. The ‘reunited’ band consisted of Pierre Pedersen, Roger Smith and Jimmy Hall from the original line-up; Mick Ball on guitar; Rod Foggon (the band’s second vocalist) plus guest drummer Steve Ross and guest bassist Keith Tulip. The band played songs from their 1971 set list to a sell-out audience and received a great response.

Here’s a Youtube video taken on the night: –


More Sneeze memorabilia: –

21 peterleeclip1

22 peterleeclip2

23 northerncounties

Rod Foggon at the Mayfair Ballroom
25 mayfairclip4

Jimmy Hall and Roger Smith at the Mayfair Ballroom. The barrier was to keep the fans at bay!!!
27 unipostersneeze

28 mayfairclip3

29 mayfairclip6

30 mayfairclip7

Guitarist Mick Balls and Jimmy Hall at Barnard Castle before a gig

32 peterlee2

33 peterlee1

34 locarno

Sneeze at the Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay

Roger and Jimmy at Haggerston Castle, Northumberland before a gig. (Ray Coulson in the background)
37a Sneeze shildon 1

Advert for Sheldon Railway Club

Extract from the in-house news sheet of the DHSS, Longbenton
39 alnwick ticket

40 Sneeze st peters ticket

41 sneeze newburn dance ticket

42 sneeze gala dance

43 sneeze boldon rugby ticket

Sneeze gigs


Fri 07/02/1969 Quay Club, Newcastle
Sat 08/02/1969 Stanley RAOB
Thu 13/02/1969 Cromer Avenue YC, Low Fell
Fri 14/02/1969 Jarrow YMCA
Sat 15/02/1969 Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay
Sun 16/02/1969 Stanley Youth Club
Thu 20/02/1969 Shildon Railway Institute
Fri 21/02/1969 Hirst Central, Ashington
Sat 22/02/1969 Heworth Welfare
Sun 23/02/1969 Impulse Studio (recording)
Wed 26/02/1969 Belvedere, Bishop Aukland
Thu 27/02/1969 Milvain Club, Newcastle
Fri 28/02/1969 Ponteland Training College
Sat 01/03/1969 Haggerston Castle
Mon 03/03/1969 Bedlington Market Place
Thu 06/03/1969 Newbiggin Hall
Fri 07/03/1969 Havelock Hall University
Sat 08/03/1969 St Johns, Whitley Bay
Sun 09/03/1969 St Cuthberts, Seaham
Fri 14/03/1969 Chantry YC, Morpeth
Sat 15/03/1969 Haggerston Castle
Sun 16/03/1969 Townley Arms
Thu 20/03/1969 Newton Aycliffe YC
Fri 21/03/1969 Deneside Youth Centre
Sat 22/03/1969 Haggerston Castle
Sun 23/03/1969 Impulse Studio (recording)
Tue 25/03/1969 Bedlington County School
Wed 26/03/1969 Newbiggin Hall
Thu 27/03/1969 Newburn Memorial Hall
Fri 28/03/1969 Hirst Central, Ashington
Sat 29/03/1969 Haggerston Castle
Sun 30/03/1969 St Patricks, Consett
Mon 31/03/1969 Locarno Ballroom, Sunderland
Sat 05/04/1969 Winnybank Youth Club
Sun 06/04/1969 Belmont WMC
Thu 10/04/1969 Shildon Railway Institute
Fri 11/04/1969 Washington
Sat 12/04/1969 All Saints Church
Mon 14/04/1969 Stanley RAOB
Thu 17/04/1969 Benton Youth Club
Fri 18/04/1969 Jarrow YMCA
Sat 19/04/1969 Barnard Castle YMCA
Sun 20/04/1969 St Dominics, Newcastle
Fri 25/04/1969 Sacred Hearts, Hartlepool
Sat 26/04/1969 Hotspur, Whitley Bay
Sun 27/04/1969 St Cuthberts, Seaham
Mon 28/04/1969 Peterlee Youth Club
Fri 02/05/1969 Northern Counties College
Sun 04/05/1969 Portland Hotel, Ashington
Wed 07/05/1969 Peterlee WMC
Thu 08/05/1969 Shildon Railway Institute
Fri 09/05/1969 Gosforth Rugby Club
Sat 10/05/1969 Peterlee Sports and Social Club
Sun 11/05/1969 Argus Butterfly, Peterlee Keef Hartley
Wed 14/05/1969 Bedlington YMCA
Fri 16/05/1969 Jarrow YMCA
Sat 17/05/1969 Quay Club / Change Is
Wed 21/05/1969 Guidepost Youth Club
Thu 22/05/1969 Boldon Community Centre
Fri 23/05/1969 Seaham Northsea School
Sat 24/05/1969 Rio Grande Cavern Club
Mon 26/05/1969 Barnard Castle YMCA
Fri 30/05/1969 Banquetting Hall, Newcastle
Sat 31/05/1969 Cellar Club, Ashington
Sun 01/06/1969 Change Is
Mon 02/06/1969 Change Is
Tue 03/06/1969 Change Is
Wed 04/06/1969 Change Is
Thu 05/06/1969 Change Is
Fri 06/06/1969 Change Is
Sat 07/06/1969 Change Is
Mon 09/06/1969 Bedlington Social Club
Thu 12/06/1969 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle Marmalade, Animal Farm
Fri 13/06/1969 Whitley Bay, YMCA
Fri 20/06/1969 Newcastle University
Sat 21/06/1969 St Johns, Whitley Bay
Thu 26/06/1969 Shotley Bridge Victory Club
Fri 27/06/1969 Jarrow YMCA
Sat 28/06/1969 Quay Club, Newcastle
Mon 30/06/1969 Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay


Incomplete records from hereon: –

Thu 02/10/1969 Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay The Love Affair
Fri 17/10/1969 Eustace Percy Hall
Sat 18/10/1969 3-Six Club, Lynemouth Don Covay
Sun 21/12/1969 Argus Butterfly, Peterlee Juicy Lucy
Tue 23/12/1969 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle The Love Affair, Junco Partners
Wed 31/12/1969 Freemasons Arms, Consett



Fri 09/01/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle White Trash, Windmill, Sect
Tue 13/01/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle Traction, Good Lovin Band
Sat 14/02/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle Junco Partners, Spyda
Tue 24/02/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle Animal Farm, Morning Glory
Sat 25/04/1970 St Peters
Fri 03/07/1970 Durham University (Dunelm) Free, Blondie
Wed 08/07/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle Junco Partners, Saratoga, Gollum
Fri 24/07/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle Jimmy Bence, Don Eddy Trio
Fri 21/08/1970 Rennington Farm, Alnwick (with James Lowrie Set)
Thu 31/12/1970 Middlesbrough



Fri 09/01/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle White Trash, Windmill, Sect
Tue 13/01/1970 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle Traction, Good Lovin Band
Fri 08/01/1971 Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle
Sat 09/01/1971 Rex, Whitley Bay
Tue 12/01/1971 St Johns, Whitley Bay
Fri 15/01/1971 Amble British Legion
Mon 18/01/1971 Blue Star Social Club
Sun 24/01/1971 Stanley Youth Club
Fri 29/01/1971 Alnmouth
Sat 30/01/1971 Felling Welfare
Fri 05/02/1971 Consett Victory Club
Sat 06/02/1971 Ashington Hop
Fri 12/02/1971 Colwell Village Hall
Sat 13/02/1971 Students Union, Newcastle
Thu 18/02/1971 Birtley Buffs
Fri 19/02/1971 St Cuthberts
Sat 20/02/1971 Viking, Seahouses
Tue 23/02/1971 Change Is
Sun 28/02/1971 Portland, Ashington
Thu 04/03/1971 Ponteland Youth Club
Sat 06/03/1971 Felling Welfare
Mon 08/03/1971 Rex, Whitley Bay

7 thoughts on “Sneeze

  1. 0

    I Must congratulate you on an amazing blog and history of the Northeast 1960-70s groups, the stories were amazing in detail and the photos brought back so many great memories I look forward to further stories from past which in some ways seem just like yesterday
    I would love to hear from anybody who knew me in the 60s
    david Bergen ex drummer axtree junction


  2. 0

    I was at the Free Dunelm gig – it was 1970 not ‘69. I have the ticket. My ticket lists Blondie & Sneeze as supports. Let me know how I can upload a copy of it or send it too you.

    You are the only other person I know who recalls this gig.

    Free had just hit it big ..alright now had just hit the charts.

    It was a terrific gig for sure.


  3. 0

    I’m so pleased you have taken the time to write all of this down for your old fans. I was at a lot of Sneeze gigs over the years. Thank you.


  4. 0

    I knew Rod Foggan from Alnwick when he was in Sneeze and later on I played lead guitar for his band The Heat which included Jimmy Hall on trumpet, Brian on Sax, apologies for not recalling the drummer, and bass players names. I had fronted a band called Flyte which played support for Jack The ladd and Showaddywaddy at Sunderland Locarno and of course played all the club gigs across the North east booked by Ivan Birchall Entertainments. Our drummer in the seventies was George Waters who went on to work with White Heat in the 80’s Thank you for this great website which has brought back so many memories.


  5. 0

    Hi Mick,
    Maybe you remember me – I was a friend of your roadie Colin Rowell, when you played with Arctic Rainbow. It’d be great to hear from you


  6. 0

    ‘their manager who introduced the band in a phoney American accent – “it’s nice to be here at your high school hop”

    I wish I’d heard that. Guffaw…


  7. 0

    The Shaking Stevens gig was a student dance at St Cuthbert’s Society. I was there aged 10 with my dad who was s mature student.


Leave a Reply